Brazilian jiu-jitsu has become known as one of the world’s most fun and effective martial arts.
Developed by the Gracie over the last ninety years, Brazilian Jiu-Jistu was first made famous in The Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC), one of the first events to allow multiple martial arts to test themselves against each other. Barely throwing a punch, Royce Gracie fought and won three times in one night,becoming the first UFC Champion. He repeated the performance a number of times, demonstrating the undeniable effectiveness of his family’s style of Jiu-Jitsu.
This is what Brazilian jiu-jitsu can bring into your life:
- Get you in amazing shape – love how you look in a mirror!
- Build game-changing confidence – on and off the mats.
- Introduce you to a whole community of fun, positive, healthy people – lifelong friendships and even marriages have been started on these mats!
- Bring passion, learning and power back into your life – few things are as empowering or fun!
See our programs below to get started, today!
Structured, Organized, Professionally Designed BJJ Education
Developed by Professor Elliott Bayev, this 6-week Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu course provides the highest quality instruction for BJJ in Toronto. Following a rotating 14-lesson curriculum, you will not only learn techniques, you will gain an understanding of the fundamentals of BJJ, and, most importantly, develop skill. This results-focused curriculum teaches the following skills
- Skill 1 – How To Not Let Anyone Hold You Down On The Ground
- Skill 2 – How To Not Get Hit From The Bottom
- Skill 3 – The Three Styles of Passing The Closed Guard
- Skill 4 – Breaking Posture and Attacking From The Closed Guard
- Skill 5 – Preventing Passes and Establishing Control In The Open Guard
- Skill 6 – Posturing In And Escaping The Back
- Skill 7 – Posturing In, Preventing and Escaping Side Control
- Skill 8 – Taking and Maintaining The Back
- Skill 9 – Controlling Side and Preventing Side Escapes
- Skill 10 – Posturing In and Escaping From The Mount
- Skill 11 – Mounting and Mount Maintenance
- Skill 12 – Takedown Fundamentals
- Skill 13 – Escaping Headlocks
With a rotating curriculum, you can start at any time, as each lesson has its own self-contained strategies, techniques and drills designed to give you the confidence to protect yourself in and control any situation.
As you can see from the lessons above, self-defence is a major focus. While OpenMat is known for having one of Toronto’s most successful BJJ competition teams, we feel everyone needs a strong foundation in self-defence. Knowing how to protect yourself against a bigger, faster, stronger opponent is fundamental and the heart of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
While BJJ tends to be one of the safer martial arts, OpenMat prides itself on having an added focus on safety. What makes BJJ so effective is that it is trained against resistance, but that is where the risk of injury emerges. Instructors are all CPR certified
Gi and No Gi
Traditionally, BJJ is learned wearing a thick uniform used to practice escapes from grabs and chokes. It is a very useful learning tool, as it not only prepares you for the realities of self-defence with a jacket, it enables smaller people to control bigger people more easily. With added friction, it also tends to slow movement down, making it easier to learn more quickly. Most schools in Toronto offer only gi or no gi (training in shorts and a t-shirt). We feel it is important to offer both as we want to be careful to not rely on being able to use the opponent’s clothes against them. No gi training tends to be faster-paced and teaches you to control the body directly.
One of the tough things about starting martial arts is not knowing where to start. The whole idea with the BJJ101 Bootcamp is to give you an easy way to get started! If you already know you’d like to give BJJ a try, you can sign up for either a gi BJJ Bootcamp or a No Gi BJJ Bootcamp, below. If you’d like to try out a class first, we also offer a free trial class.